Monday, October 31, 2011

Icebreaker

The stark beauty of the arctic always catches me off guard in the most delightful ways.


The girls are enjoying the snow as much as I am.


I was down in Fort McPherson these last few days for meetings. When I headed down on Thursday afternoon the river at the ferry crossing was still moving pretty well with but a few thin plates of ice floating with the current.

On the way back Saturday afternoon, this is what met us at the ferry crossing:
The river had a pretty solid sheet of ice from shore to shore. Luckily the ferry was still running to keep a path open through the ice for the last bunch of trucks to come through.  The ice was a pretty thick and the ferry path was icing over as quickly as it was opened.
broken ice of ferry path

Frosty ferry
We got over just in time. According to the Department of Transportation, they closed the ferry yesterday(Sunday) for the season. I have a video of us crossing the river it on my Flickr account. This is probably the closest I'll get to being on an icebreaker LOL!

Have a great week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment